We cordially invite you to visit and partake of our yearly festival!
De Leon, Texas was established on July 7, 1881 and named as such because of its close location to the Leon River. De Leon, population 2,400 is known as “The Busiest Town, Friendliest People.” Since 1914 De Leon, Texas has been hosting a festival to celebrate the town heritage and its history with Peaches & Watermelons.
In addition to the Peach & Melon Festival, held August 7-11, the De Leon Chamber of Commerce hosts its Golden Saturday events.
This year’s Golden Saturday will be held on August 11, 2012 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Basically, we close off the downtown area and throw an old-fashion festival of fun.
Golden Saturday kicks off with:
- Watermelon Crawl 5K Run or Walk at 7:30 a.m.
- 42 Tournament at 8:00 a.m.
- Golden Saturday Opening Ceremony/Invocation at 9:00 a.m.
- Terrill Antique Car Museum Car Show opening at 9:00 a.m.
- Vendors, Crafters, Exhibitors, Food and Entertainment Downtown Opening at 9:00 a.m.
- Music on the Stage Throughout the Day
- Kids Crafts, Demonstrations & Variety Entertainment Under The Tent Throughout the Day
- Working Demonstrations and Entertainment Scattered Throughout The Streets
- Stroll The Shops on Main Street Throughout the Day
- Peach, Watermelon, Peanut & Pecan Charity Dessert Auction at 11:00 a.m.
- Spaghetti Lunch at the Senior Citizens Building at 12:00 noon
- Seed Spitting on Main Street at 1:00 p.m.
- Free Watermelon Slicing On Main Street 3:00 p.m.
Continued at the Peach & Melon Festival at City Park:
- Tractor Pull at 7:00 p.m.
- Dance at 9:00 p.m.
- Presentation of Miss De Leon at 10:30 p.m.
Where is De Leon?
De Leon is located directly in the center of Texas, in Comanche County. It is:
- 92 miles west of Fort Worth
- 85 miles east of Abilene
- 103 miles west of Waco
- 25 miles west of Stephenville
- 40 miles northeast of Brownwood
Where can I stay?
De Leon has one motel, the De Leon Inn, 408 W. Navarro, 254-893-2037
The City Park has campsites with hookups available. Contact De Leon City Hall at 254-893-2065
Proctor Lake also has campsites. Visit their website
Or check out these websites:
Where can I eat?
Blue Moon Café located at 100 N Texas in Downtown De Leon
Hwy 6 Café located at 432 W Navarro Avenue in De Leon
Dairy Queen located at 508 N Texas in De Leon
Subway located at 100 E Navarro Avenue in De Leon
Cook’s Fish Barn located at 3669 Hwy 36, Comanche TX 76442
If you would like to be a vendor at this year’s Golden Saturday, you can find an application here.